Sunday, May 28, 2006

Easter Weekend in Barcelona

I know I'm a loser for taking so long to share these pics, but as you have read from a few of my last posts, things have been a little busy for me lately.

So, I'm taking advantage of Memorial Day Weekend to write about my Easter weekend...

As you drive east from Zaragoza ro Barcelona, the scenery changes drastically from desert to green hills and fields.

Along the way, you see several of these giant bulls up on the mountains. They're like big signs that I assume are to show the Spanish love and respect of the bulls.

When we arrived in Barcelona we headed to the harbor.


Walking the streets of Barcelona reminded me of many Italian cities. The small alleys and narrow winding corridors. Laundry hanging from windows.

Our first night in Barcelona took us to an area of town that I swear never slept. I know this picture isn't that great, but the point of it is that it was taken at about 3 o'clock in the morning and there were still plenty of people out partying, eating, and drinking.

Here are some pics from the Flamenco Dancing show. (see previous post)

This show was so cool, it inspired me to create an entire photo album for it alone.





The second day in Barcelona found us doing a little more exploring. This church was near our hotel. A gem that was hidden among the windy streets.

This is a street full of shops and boutiques selling all kinds of stuff.

The narrow streets were full of tourists. I think I heard dozens of different languages being spoken.
Some areas were very reminicsent of Rome, Florence, or even New Orleans.

Another random church as seem from an alley.

Here is one of the houses in a quiter area of town.

La Rambla, the most famous street in Barcelona.

La Rambla was overrun with visitors. If I were a local I would stay away from here as much as possible!

Another nice quiet neighborhood, far away from tourists!

The Sagrada Familia, an incredible work of architechture.

Designed by the famous Spanish architecht, Gaudi, this church was unlike any other I've seen in all of Europe.

The neo-gothic design looks very unique and even a little creepy.

Sculpture was all over it.

This is the view from a park that sits across the street.

The Beach!!!! Too bad the April air kept the Mediterranean water a little chilly.

Now, here is where I would have inserted pictures from our adventurous Saturday night in Barcelona. I would have shown the Irish pub we stayed at until it closed at 3am. I would have shown the two coolest bartenders in Spain, Nicole and Vinanya (sp?). I would have showed the after hours bar they took us to, the English guys we made friends with, the crowded pool table in the bar, and the cocky Spanish guy that thought he owned the pool table and who I almost beat!

But, the problem is that I was having such a good time, I never even thought about taking any pictures. So you'll just have to use your imagination.

Normally I wouldn't have shared so many pics of the drive home, but I thought these were pretty cool. You can see another bull sign in the mountains near an old village and castle.

Next stop... Zaragoza.

See you next time!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home